Installation Instructions For RUGER® Mini-14, Mini-30
STEP #1 ****BE POSITIVE THAT YOUR RIFLE IS NOT LOADED!!!!****
STEP #2 REMOVING THE UPPER SECTION OF THE GAS BLOCK ASSEMBLY
- Treat ALL guns as if they are LOADED.
- NEVER let the muzzle point at anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Keep your finger OFF the trigger.
- REMOVE the magazine completely and set it aside.
- PULL the operating rod completely to the REAR and CHECK the chamber.
- Work the operating rod several times and check the chamber AGAIN.
STEP #3 POSITION THE BARREL CLAMP
- START with the Mini-14 field stripped in accordance with the RUGER ® Owners Instruction Manual.
- Place the rifle upside down on a flat and sturdy table or bench surface. Use the larger hex wrench (provided) and remove the four (4) hex head screws from the Gas Block Assembly. (figure 1)
- DO NOT LOSE the little Gas Bushing that fits between the rifle barrel and the Lower Gas Block Section!
STEP #4 POSITION THE MOUNT BODY
- Place the Mount Body upside-down on the table and set the barrel with the lower half of the gas block into it sol the four gas block screw holes line up.
- Place the Barrel Clamp over the rifle barrel with the flange side with the holes aligned with the corresponding holes in the Mount Body. (figure 3)
- Lift the receiver end of the barrel just enough to slide the hook of the Barrel Clamp under the barrel and into the recess on the under side of the Mount Body.
- Pull the Mount Body and Barrel Clamp together around the rifle barrel and start the button-head cap screws (provided) into the threaded holes in the Mount Body using the small hex wrench (provided). DO NOT SNUG these three screws down yet. (figure 4)
STEP #5 SECURE THE BARREL CLAMP
- Hold the Lower Section of the Gas Block Assembly in place on the rifle barrel with the gas bushing aligned in its notch.
- Position the Mount Body along the rifle barrel so the four threaded screw holes align with the holes in the Lower Section of the Gas Block Assembly. (figure 5)
- START the four gas block screws into the threaded holes. (580 Series: DO NOT use the original Ruger® gas block screws! They are a different thread size! Use the four LONGER gas block screws provided.) We recommend putting a small drop of medium-strength thread sealer on the threads of each of the new gas block screws. (figure 6)
- Evenly tighten the four gas block screws with the larger hex wrench provided, taking two turns on each screw until the gap between the Lower Gas Block Assembly and Mount Body is evenly spaced on both sides of the barrel. DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS OR TORQUE WRENCHES ON THESE SCREWS!
STEP #6 RE-ASSEMBLE THE RIFLE
- Evenly snug down the cap head screws on the flange of the Barrel Clamp with the Small hex wrench. (580 Series has three screws on the Barrel Clamp.) (figure 7)
- Replace the slide assembly, recoil spring and guide rod, stock, and trigger assembly.
- Pull the slide assembly to the rear and let it return SLOWLY forward. Check for any binding or contact that interferes with the proper operation of the rifle.
- Properly installed, the Mini-Scout-Mount™ does not impede or alter the operation of the rifle in any way.
- We recommend you go to the range to function test your rifle after installation and re-confirm your sight zero.